Wednesday, June 6, 2007

The Inaugural Ride

On a freezing, windy January morning Dave and I circle around a parking lot on our brand new bikes waiting for Krista, Shane, Melisa and Matt, all very experienced cyclists, to meet up with us. Conditions that day were't ideal for a bike ride, but what did we know? It was our first "real" bike ride and we were very excited.

Our ride is supposed to take place on Pima road, which has a slight incline -- Krista said it would be kind of tough on the way up but pretty easy on the way down. We feel a little nervous, but Krista and Shane told us not to worry, the ride will only take 1:15 and everyone is going to take it easy. I was a little hesitant to go on our first bike ride with people who have been riding for a number of years but we were assured over and over again that they are all “out of shape” and need to go “slow” to stay in their heart rate zones.

The group finally arrives. Dave rides up to them and is so excited to see everyone, he forgets he is clipped in and promptly topples over as a greeting. It is not the first time he’s fallen and it won’t be the last!

Everyone showed great decorum and did not laugh.

Once Dave gets back on his bike, we begin the trek up Pima. Pima is a 50 mph road and is pretty busy. More on this to come in other posts, but a congested road is probably not the best choice for your initial bike rides. I remember warming up pretty quickly but Dave says he just became numb to the wind and cold – (however later in the ride --when the fear kicked in --we both just felt an icy cold trickle of sweat running down the center of our backs). Shane hangs back with us and gives us some good advice and pointers about how to ride and how to take care of our bikes.

As we climb to the top Shane notices that Dave’s back tire looks “really” low.

So Shane asks Dave when he last put air in his tires. Dave responds that it was at the bike shop…..when he bought the bike….about three weeks ago.

I must intersect here that I asked Dave that very morning, THAT VERY MORNING- I asked Dave, “Do you think we should put more air in our tires ?” He said, “No, I think they’re fine.” I said, “Are you sure? I think someone mentioned something at some point - that we need to put air in them before we ride.” He says “Naw - they’re fine.” He even squeezed the tire together -- “See there’s air in there,” he said. Oh okay -whatever. We don’t know how to work the pump we bought anyway.

(As an aside, though I tend to be more cautious we both tend to jump into things and assume that we’ll figure things out as we go along. We always say how bad could it be? Well, more on how bad it can be in later posts…there’s never a dull moment that’s for sure.)

Shane loves this moment in the ride and it was pretty funny -- He used his CO2 cartridge to add a little more air to both of our tires (Dave’s comment after his tire pressure went from 60 psi to a whopping 85 psi “Wow, it is so smooth now! It is like riding on air!) -- however my favorite moment of the day came a little while later…

As we climbed toward our turn around point Shane said, “Well, we are almost near the top and then it is all downhill which is fun and easy. Sometimes we fly down Pima going 35 miles an hour. But don’t worry we won’t do that today ‘cause you guys are with us.”

Wanna know why this is my favorite moment?

Because once we got to the top, everyone TOOK OFF! Matt, Melisa, Krista, Shane - GONE. Dave’s a risk taker through and through -- so he just starting flying down the hill too. Again, as I am more cautious and as I had been on the bike only 2 times prior, it still felt quite foreign beneath me - like I wasn’t quite in control - so I went as fast as I could – but it was definitely outside of my comfort zone. I just tried to keep everyone in sight. All I kept thinking was “Slow? This is slow? What’s fast if this is slow????”

Shane stopped and waited for me at one point - I told him to keep going, that I was fine (“fine” being relative - I was pedaling - I hadn’t fallen - I even switched my gears - so yeah, I was fine!) but he stopped and rode with me – I am assuming out of concern -- and he then said another thing that is emblazoned in my brain:

“Stacey, do you realize you are going 28 mph??!?!”

Let me think about that for a minute. Let’s see no - I didn’t realize I was going 28 mph.

Is that why I feel like I am about to throw up my heart?

So I careen and Shane smoothly rides to the halfway point where the rest of the group has stopped. I check in with Dave -- “are you alright?” “yeah, I’m fine, how are you?” “good, good” “have some water.” I’m trying not to breathe too heavily but at this point I am kind of overcome with a sick feeling of fear and anxiety and stress but I am holding it together. I just spent a couple thousand dollars on this bike and accessories - I’m gonna have fun, gosh darn it!?!?! The fun’s gotta start soon, doesn’t it??? Doesn’t it????

As we regroup Melisa says “Do you want to climb Dynamite?” Everyone protests. This “Dynamite” is apparently a steep hill. Is everyone up for that? What about Stacey and Dave? Can they do it? Everyone is asking us newbies if we can do it - we don’t have to - but we can tell that they really want to go up the hill and we don’t want to ruin anyone’s ride so we say why not? I just went 28 mph down a 50 mph road with semis and rocks and glass and sand flying everywhere, surely I can go up a hill. At least I can stop going downhill for now.

I say that I’d love to but could someone please tell me which of these thingees I have to click to get into an easier gear?

We then go up this Dynamite hill. I manage to get the bike into a workable gear. Shane, our good mentor, rides with Dave. We even passed a guy on the way up.

The ride to the top wasn’t too bad. I like to run hills - so even though I didn’t really know how to ride a bike I liked pushing it to the top. (As for Dave, he was "exhausted" when he reached the top). Phew. The hard part must be over… yeah, right… what goes up must come down and down another hill we must go. Down a road called Happy Valley – which before the day was over in my mind became Happy $%#@ Valley Road.

Everyone, including Dave, takes off (side note: even though Dave kept up with the group, he was gripped by the icy fear of death during his descent as well). No problem - I am a fast learner - this must be what cyclists do. Climb up Big Hill. Go Down Fast. However I don’t really know where I am at and I am not really sure how to change a flat tire – so I need to stay with the group so that I can get back to our truck and off this beast - er bike and back to the safety of my home. The thought crosses my mind that if I lose them I will be stuck out in North Scottsdale riding aimlessly in circles on my bike afraid to clip out of my pedals, dodging traffic and pedestrians until I just fall over from exhaustion, fear and delirium.

Amidst the tempestuous wind, the shoulder that is about as wide as the white line, cars flying by at 90 mph on the left and sand, boulders and cactus to the right, we do our best to keep up. I am pedaling as fast as I can, gripping the handlebars so tightly the veins in my fingers are bulging and pulsating. I wanted to stop or at least slow down but the fear of losing everyone was more overwhelming. SUVs and trucks fly by – I think I even saw a flat bed truck with some chickens and goats in it - gravel and rocks are flying -- I’m dodging holes in the road, and metal grates and steel 2x4s and shattered glass….

Shane waits for me at one point and when he sees me he exclaims “Stacey, I don’t think I’ve ever seen your eyes open that wide! They’re HUGE!”

I must have said something to him - but I don’t remember - because I don’t think I could hear my voice or my thoughts over the hammering of my heart.

Suffice to say, we finally made it back to our truck – in one piece – pumped up with excitement, adrenalin and endorphins. Although it was a crazy and treacherous ride-- we were hooked -- we couldn’t wait to do it again!


Lessons Learned

Put air in your tires before every ride – More on pumping up your tires in future posts

Dress for the weather - More on clothing in future posts

Know the route

Understand how the group rides - Do they drop people? Does everyone stay together? Will they wait at lights? Will they modify their riding style for you? Don’t be afraid to ask for the plan so that you know what to expect.

1 comment:

Iron Krista, "The Dog Mom" said...

See, you have already come SO far! :-)